Introduction: APPLE PIE
The recipe for this cake was given to me by my mother.
It is very simple to do and my daughters (who are 8 and 6 years old), love to help me do it.
You do not have to make dough, or cream ... it's as simple as mixing flour and sugar.
I assure you that the result will surprise you.
Step 1: The Recipe
In the images you can see the original recipe that my mother gave me and the notes and modifications written by me in the back. My mother has better lyrics than me. ;)
Step 2: Ingredients
To measure the quantities I use a "nocilla" crystal glass (cocoa and hazelnut cream sold in Spain). The capacity of the glass is 200 grams, more or less.
The mold I use is a glass beaker, 32 cm long and 26 cm wide, (measured from the inside). Take into account the mold you use, for the quantities, and for the oven time. A glass mold is not the same as a metal mold.
Step 3: Prepare the Mixtures
A modification with respect to the original recipe is to crush the sugar in a grinder glass so that the sugar is finer, mix better with the flour, and do not notice the grain of sugar when eating the cake. (To keep the amounts, I do not triturate all the sugar at once, but crush the amount of 1 glass each time).
● In 1 dish, mix 1 glass of flour with 1 glass of crushed sugar.
● In another dish, repeat the above.
● In 1 flat dish mix 1/2 (or 3/4) glass of flour with 1/2 (or 3/4) glass of crushed sugar. In this dish we put less quantity because it will be the first layer and it is better that it is not too fat.
Spread the envelope of yeast powder between the 3 plates and mix. (I use a fork to mix it).
● In 1 bowl beat 2 eggs and mix them with 1 glass of milk.
● In another bowl repeat the above.
● Apples are best peeled as needed, so they do not rust.
Step 4: Put the Layers
● 1 / Extend the flour and sugar mixture in the dish with less quantity.
● 2 / Place a layer of apple cut into wedges. Assemble the segments a little over each other.
● 3 / Extend the flour and sugar mixture from another dish.
● 4 / Place another layer of apple segments.
● 5 / Pour the egg and milk mixture from one of the bowls.
● 6 / Extend the flour and sugar mixture of the last dish.
● 7 / Place the last layer of apple wedges.
● 8 / Pour the egg and milk mixture from the remaining bowl. (This I do the last, and different from how my mother does, because that way I wet the apples and burn less in the oven).
Step 5: Put in the Oven
Put the cake in the oven, (cold oven, without preheating). My oven has 4 heights to place the grid. Put the grid in the second slot starting from the bottom.
● Set temperature 175 degrees Celsius, and the function that gives heat only down and fan.
● Without changing the temperature, put the function of the oven that gives heat above and below.
1 hour and 30 minutes
(My oven heats more from the back, so half the time I rotate the cake, putting the back part forward, so that the apples in the last layer are made equally).
Step 6: Prepare the Glaze
While the cake is in the oven put in a saucepan:
● 2 tablespoons of sugar.
● 4 tablespoons of peach jam.
● The juice of half a lemon.
● A "squirt" of brandy
Heat the mixture over low heat so that it does not burn the sugar and stirring often until it thickens as seen in the photo.
Allow to cool and wait for the oven time to end.
Step 7: Last Step
When the oven time is up, remove the cake and spread the glaze all over the surface.
Put the cake back into the oven at 175 degrees Celsius and the gratin function. 5 minutes.
After the time, remove the cake from the oven and let it cool. When it is warm, put it in the refrigerator. I usually make this cake in the afternoon, and I leave it in the fridge all night, so that it rests well.