Introduction: Barbie Penthouse Apartment
Welcome to your Barbie doll's penthouse apartment! This beautiful living space includes 3 finished levels. The first level foyer is complete with spiral staircase and floral wallhangings. The spiral staircase leads to the master bedroom with a king bed, side table and lamp. The ladder in the master bedroom leads to the botanical gardens and rooftop pool complete with waterslide and diving board. Your Barbie will never want to leave home again!
- Hot glue gun
- Corrugated cardboard
- Decorative grass
- School glue
Step 1: First Level: Foyer and Home Office
- Take a cardboard box that is 25" wide and 36" tall and 23" deep and turn it on its side. Cut the box so it opens like a door to the apartment
- Use a 6x3 piece of cardboard and place it on top of cardboard stands that are 4x3 to make the desk
- The computer monitor on the desk is 1x1 on a 0.25 x 0.25 cardboard stand
- Cut out a small cardboard piece around the size of a pinky nail as your computer mouse. The keyboard is 1/2 x 1, and is glued below the monitor.
- The seat of the chair is located at 3.5 inches high, and 3.5 inch pieces complete the back of the chair for a total height of 7 inches.
- The couch is 5" long and 4" tall. The seat is at 2" high and 2.5" deep.
- The carpet is a 4 x 3 piece of cardboard decorated with hot glue dots
Step 2: Spiral Staircase
A spiral staircase connects the first and second level.
- You need 3 17.5 inch pieces of cardboard 1 inch wide. Connect them with hot glue as the center of the staircase.
- 25 pieces of 3.25" x 1" wide pieces for the stairs.
- Glue each piece and rotate 1/2 inch for every stair to complete the spiral (see pictures)
- Then let it dry for about five minutes after the entire staircase is complete to make sure that your staircase is completely dry.
Step 3: Coffee Table and Foyer Assembly.
- First you will take a 4 inch tall by 6 inch wide piece of cardboard and roll it into a tube then hot glue it shut.
-Then cut a circle piece of cardboard with a diameter of 4 inches and hot glue it on to the tube you made previously.
- Now for assembly of the foyer first take the desk and glue on the computer and the mouse and the keyboard.
- Then glue on the desk to the left corner in the back at a angle and place the chair behind it the chairs back should be facing the wall.
- After the desk is done then glue the spiral staircase in the back right corner leading up to what will be the second floor.
- Then glue on the coffee table to the front right corner and glue the couch against the wall behind.
Step 4: Install the Second Floor
After placing the spiral staircase, cut a square of corrugated cardboard that is 22" x 24". Be sure to cut the far back right corner in a semi-circle so that the spiral staircase can fit through. The floor is held up by 4 brackets that are glued to the wall. Each bracket is 4 x 1 and bent so the floor can be placed on them.
Step 5: Making Your Barbie's Second Floor Master Bedroom.
- First you will make your king bed you will need a piece of cardboard that is 8 inches wide and 11 inches long and two more pieces of cardboard that are 3 inches tall and 11 inches long.
- Now it's time to assemble your bed take the piece of cardboard that is 8 by 11 and glue the two 3 by 11 piece to the sides and let the glue dry.
- Time for pillows cut out eight 3 inch long by 2 inch high pieces and then cut out four 3 inch long and half a inch wide pieces and four 2 inch high pieces and half a inch wide.
- Now lets assemble put the 3 by 2 inch on the ground and use your hot glue to glue the short sides and put the two 3 by 1/2 inch on the hot glue do the same with the other two and hot glue on the rectangular shape on the top and put the last piece on.
- Side table so you cut out 4 pieces that are 3 inches long and 1/4 inch wide pieces of cardboard and then you cut out the top so you cut out 3 by 3 out for the top. Then you hot glue it together. and then you are done with the side table.
- Put the ladder on the front right wall with 7 2" long and 1/2" tall pieces going up to the roof
Step 6: Build the Rooftop Garden and Pool
The rooftop level has a botanical garden, sitting bench, and a pool complete with waterslide and diving board. The roof is 24" x 24". Place the roof level on top of the building and glue with hot glue. (cut a hole where the ladder is leading up to the garden)
- Brush on school glue leaving a pathway and an area for the pool
- Sprinkle on decorative grass
- Glue on small, shallow box as the pool
- Build a ladder that is 9 inches tall, and the slide is 7 inches. Place the slide into beside the pool, and glue onto the side, so the slide lands inside the pool.
- The diving board ladder is 7 inches high and 2 inches wide, and the diving board itself is 2 inches wide and 5 inches long. Place the board so that the diving board is over the pool.
Participated in the
Cardboard Speed Challenge