Introduction: Crushed Glass Wall Art
Create your very own wall art using crushed glass. The glitter adds bling and sparkle that reflects and shines off the glass. Enjoy!
- Any size canvas(es) you'd like!
- Rust-o-leum Wildflower Blue Satin Spray Paint (or your desired color)
- Krylon Metallic Alumium Spray Paint (or your desired color)
- Epoxy Resin
- Any glitter/sparkles that compliment your paint selections. I selected:
- Recollections Chunky Glitter - Peacock
- Recollections Specialty Giltter - Platinum
- Recollections Extra Fine Glitter - Ocean
- Recollections Extra Fine Giltter - Snow
Drop cloth or plastic to protect your space
Wide Foam Brush
Step 1: Spray Your Canvas(es)
- Lay out your drop cloth /protective cover in a well ventilated area
- Place one canvas on the drop cloth and begin to spray one half of the canvas with one of the spray paints.
Start at the bottom of the canvas spraying from left to right and work your way to the middle. Repeat spraying until you have the coverage you want.
Tip! Make sure you don't forget to paint the sides of the canvas!
- Once you have spray painted half of the canvas, select the other spray paint option and repeat painting in the same fashion on the other half of the unpainted canvas until you reach the middle.
Tip! Don't worry if the paint colors overlap each other in the middle. When we finish, no one will notice any imperfections in the middle!
- Repeat spray painting remaining canvases.
- Allow all to dry completely before moving on to the next step.
Step 2: Prepare and Paint Resin on the Canvas
- Prepare the epoxy resin using the package instructions.
Tip! Be sure to lay out all of your remaining supplies and keep them nearby. Once you mix the resin, you want to get started very quickly so that it doesn't start hardening.
- Pour the resin along the middle of the canvas where the two paints meet/overlap. No need to resin the sides of the canvas, unless you choose to...
- Take your foam brush and create strokes up and down vertically until you are pleased with the width and design of your strokes.
Step 3: Sprinkle the Crushed Glass & Glitter!
And now the FUN.
- Grab your crushed glass and sprinkle all over the canvas until you're satisfied.
- Sprinkle the chunky glitter wherever you'd like. For my piece, I sprinkled it only in the middle of the canvas.
TIP: Glitter is not forgiving. We don't want a ton of glitter in one big spot, so sprinkle way up high off of the canvas and keep your hands moving in a back and forth motion so that the glitter distributes evenly.
- Sprinkle the Specialty Platinum Glitter
TIP: Glitter is not forgiving. We don't want a ton of glitter in one big spot, so sprinkle way up high off
of the canvas and keep your hands moving in a back and forth motion so that the glitter distributes evenly.
- Sprinkle the fine glitter choices as a final touch to fill in areas that you weren't able to cover with the glass or larger glitter options. Pay special attention to the tips of the strokes.
- Inspect the piece to see if you need to cover any other areas that may not have gotten enough glass and glitter love.
- If you have more than one canvas, repeat spreading and adding strokes of Resin to the remaining canvases and sprinkle the glass and glitter to your heart's content.
TIP: Remember, you only have a specific amount of time per your Resin's instructions for your working time. So try to work as quickly as you can.
Step 4: The Hardest Part
No really. Just wait. Leave everything undisturbed and don't move it, touch it or continue to fuss over it. Just leave it. Depending on the instructions for your resin, you may need to wait several hours before it sets. Be patient!
In the interim, keep it protected or covered with a cardboard box to keep off dust or extra particles. The last thing we want is for our masterpiece to be ruined by the elements!
Step 5: Shake It Off and Hang Your Art!
Participated in the
Glass Speed Challenge