Introduction: Dressing It Up: One Way to Make a Dress
Whether its to practice your sewing skills, or you want to show off at your next family get together, making a dress can be a fun exciting experience that lets you show off your creative side. To make the dress you will need:
- 2-5 yards of fabric (depending on what size you need to make the dress)
- A sewing machine
- thread to match the fabric
- Any extra accessories you want to add to the dress
So follow these steps to create a simple dress.
Step 1: Step 1: the Top
For the top part of the dress, we will be creating a wrap top with a tank top shoulder.
- measure out how long you want your torso to be, and then add about 4 inches of length to it since it will be covered up by the skirt
- measure how long across your body is and add a foot to each side to it can wrap
- measure your waist size then add 12 inches, cutting out two straps for the top
- cut the fabric the height of your torso (+4 inches) and the length of your wrap
- Using a protractor, make 10 inches in the center of your fabric a cut-out triangle, the at how ever thick you want your straps to be
- Using a protractor, measure first on your body at want angle to do you want the top to be, and then match it on the end parts of your fabric
- sew on the two straps at whatever height you want the waist on the inside of the fabric about 3 inches in.
And that is how you create the wrap top to your dress.
Step 2: Step 2: the Bottom
The bottom of your dress is very easy and up to creative interpretation.
- Take a piece of elastic string about 1/2 an inch wide, and measure your waist.
- measure your waist with a piece of fabric
- measure the height you want the skirt on the same piece of fabric from 1.
- cut the length of the fabric about 8 inches longer than your waist
- cut the height of your fabric 3 inches longer than you want the height of the skirt to be
- bunch the fabric over the elastic band and sew it on
- sew the two elastic pieces together
And that is your skirt. To add it to the dress just put it on on top of the wrap top and that is basically your dress
Step 3: Step 3: Finishing It Up
Now that you have the basic structure of the dress, now is the time to be as creative as you want. Add lace on the sleeves, or buttons down the back. Nothing is off limits.
I hope that these instructions were easy to follow and you are able to make the dress of your dreams.