Introduction: How to Make German Soft Prezels With Cheese Sauce
Since I have been home with my girls we have been enjoying making soft prezels. This recipe is German soft prezels, which uses brown sugar!
Makes about 12-14 soft prezel sticks
Brown sugar 1/2 cup
Hot water 2 cups
Flour 5 3/4 cups
Yeast 5 1/2 teaspoons
Canola oil 1/3 cup
Baking soda 3/4 cup
Butter 1 tablespoon
Step 1: Dissolve Sugar Into Hot Water
1. Add 1/2 cup of brown sugar into the mixture.
2. Pour 2 cups of hot water into the mixture. Stir until sugar is dissolved.
3. Next add the 5 1/2 teaspoons of yeast.
4. Let sit for 5 minutes until yeast is foamy.
Step 2: Mix in the Flour and Oil
1. Once the yeast is foamy add 1/2 cup canola oil.
2. Also add 3 cups of flour.
3. Mix until mixture is mixed.
4. Knead in 2 3/4 cups of flour.
5. Mixture should be sticky. If too sticky add a little bit of flour.
Step 3: Let Rise
1. Grease a large bowl.
2. Add the dough, cover with plastic wrap.
3. Last, let it sit for 45 minutes until dought rises/doubles in size.
Step 4: Roll Out
1. Once dough has doubled, punch down the dough.
2. On a floured surface, lightly knead the dough.
3. Slip into 12 to 14 equal pieces about 7 to 8 inch pretzel stick.
4. Place on cookie sheet and let rise for 25 minutes.
Step 5: Before Baking
**preheat oven 450
1. Heat up 2 quarts of water with the 3/4 cup baking soda in a large deep skillet.
2. Bring to a simmer.
3. Add 6 stick at a time to the water, Turn over for about 30 seconds total.
4. Dry off and place on cookie sheet, repeat until all sticks have been done.
5. Use the egg to make an egg wash and brush over pretzel sticks. Sprinkle with salt.
Step 6: Bake
1. Bake at 450 for 10 minutes.
2. Brush with butter.
Step 7: Cheese Sauce
1. We had a jar of cheese sauce, so I placed it into a bowl and heated it up. You can also eat with mustard or whatever you enjoy!
Participated in the
Baking Speed Challenge