Introduction: Silly Hat
In this tutorial, you will learn how to make a fun, crazy, silly hat. It is a perfect prop for parties (or taking selfies!). It has no particular theme, but you can swap out decorations and personalize it, too!
So, without wasting any more time, let's get started!
- Paperboard (or thick cardstock)
- Paper Plate (Optional)
- Paper Cutter
- Tissue Paper (or Crepe Paper)
- Wire (or Pipe Cleaner)
- Thread (Optional)
- Colour Paper
- Paint Brushes
- Pin (Safety pin or anything similar)
Step 1: Making the "Cone" Part of the Hat
- Take your paperboard or cardstock and round out the end as shown in the picture.
- You can if you have made the cut properly by rolling it into a cone and make adjustments.
- Once happy, secure it with properly with tape.
Step 2: Making the "Flat" Part of Th a Hat
- Take a paper plate or cardstock. (There is no particular reason for using a paper plate).
- Cut it into a circle. Make sure the size is relative to the "cone" part of the hat.
- In the middle of the circle, measure the bottom of the "cone" and cut it out.
Step 3: Joining Both the Parts
- Join both of the parts we have just made and stick them together as shown in the picture by using tape.
Step 4: Paint!
- Use your favourite paint and pain the base we just made.
- Move on to the next step after the paint dries.
Step 5: Making and Adding the Decorations!
- Take different pieces of colour paper. If you have any scraps lying around, then you can use those here!
- Cut the colour papers into different shapes such as circles, squares, triangles, hearts, rectangles, etc.
- Glue them on to the hat.
Step 6: Adding the Wire Decoration.
- Take a pin.
- Poke a few holes on the hat.
- Take wire. (If you don't have copper wire, you can find it in any old electic wire. Or maybe substitute it for pipe cleaners).
- Cut the wire into a few pieces.
- The pieces don't have to be the same size. Have fun with it!
- Take on of those pieces and put them through one of the holes.
- Fold the excess that comes through the inside and secure it with tape.
- The wire that is outside, shape it into a random shape. Fold it, scrunch it, anything!
- Repeat it until you are done with all your wire (or pipe cleaners).
Step 7: Making the Topper!
For the topper, we are making a pompom!
- To make a pompom for this project, you need tissue or crape paper.
- Take your paper of choice and cut it to your desired size.
- After cutting it out, fold the paper in accordion style.
- Secure the accordion fold by using wire or thread in the middle.
- After that, round out the ends.
- Try and open up the folds a little. Don't force it as it could be torn.
- Glue both the ends as shown in the picture, so that it looks almost like a flower.
- After it dries, Glue the pompom on to the top of the hat.
Participated in the
Silly Hats Speed Challenge