Introduction: The Defective Mothball Costume
The Story Behind the Costume
Every year, my Mom's work has a halloween costume contest. While she was looking through our old costume truck, she noticed that all of the costumes smelt like mothballs. Jokingly, she told me that she thought would be funny to dress up as a mothball.
Being someone who loves to make costumes, I accepted this challenge, but with a twist. Instead of turning her into a mothball, I decided to made her into a defective mothball. This means instead of repelling moths, it attracts moths. Hence, a defective mothball.
Step 1: Supplies for Making a Defective Mothball
~ 2 Cardboard boxes
~ Card Stock and Printer
~ Head Band
~ Cutting Board and X-acto Knife
~ 3 Bags of Cotton Balls (instead of actual mothballs)
~ Hot Glue Gun and Glue
~ Spray Paint
~ White Tape
~ Black Permanent Marker
Step 2: Making the Moths
I started out by printing out pictures of a moth onto card stock paper. Then, I cut them out using an x-acto knife. In total, I made nine moths.
The moth image I used: http://www.warrenphotographic.co.uk/photography/bi...
Step 3: The Moth Head Band
Next, I hot glued one moth to the head band. Then, I cut another moth in half and glued the wings together to cover up the white paper.
Step 4: The Mothball Box
Next, using an x-acto knife, I cut off the bottom of the box, leaving an inch of cardboard around the edge. Then I cut armholes on both sides of the box.
Step 5: The Top of the Box
I then traced the top of the box onto another piece of cardboard. After cutting that out, I then cut out another shape that would eventually become the head hole (look at the picture above).
Step 6: The Mothballs and Box
Next, I spray painted the box silver. While that was drying, I hot glued three bags cotton balls to the top of the box.
Step 7: Attaching the Top to the Box
Using the x-acto knife, I made three holes on the top of the box and three holes on the box. I then attached them together with string.
Step 8: Decorating the Box
Next, I decorated the box using white tape, more cotton balls, and a black marker. Then I glued on the moths!
Participated in the
Halloween Costume Contest 2016