Introduction: The Maitlands!

About: I have my B.S. in environmental science but I'm an artist at heart. I am always thinking of new projects to pick up and things to create. I'm working on turning my passion for making things and sustainabilit…
Introducing Barbara and Adam Maitland!

Every year for Halloween I usually take a face/sex altering route.  One year I was an old man complete with the liquid latex face and all.  This year after some inspiration from Pinterest I decided that Matt and I would be the Maitlands, and the peach fuzz on my face would get a break from being ripped out at the end of the night.

Here are the majority of the materials that I used for these masks.  The other materials that I used will be in the upcoming steps and I will point them out.  Some steps can more than likely be modified for ease, but this was my first time making masks, so I had to learn the hard way!
  • Plaster of Paris (aka, MAGIC/LIFESAVING SAUCE)
  • Vinyl spackling (probably not necessary, in hindsight)
  • Masking tape
  • Newspaper
  • Plaster wrap
  • Model Magic

Step 1: Forming the Masks

You just have to dive in! I started with two foam toy "hard hats" as a base to build off of. Then, I searched our apt. to see what materials we already had that I could use.  I ended up sacrificing two metal s'more skewers to form her jawline, which was totes worth it no matter how much I loved that s'mores kit. From there I used newspaper and masking tape to build up each mask and position everything as best I could.  I also used model magic and a foam cone to form Adam Maitlands stretched out nose.
 New Materials Used:
  • 2 Toy foam hard hats
  • Metal skewers
  • Foam cone

Step 2: Sturdy Up Those Masks!

I mentioned before that some steps could probably be omitted or streamlined a little. This part of the process is definitely one of them.  After plaster wrapping each mask, I wanted to skin to appear much more smooth so I added the vinyl spackle, but it ended up being a little difficult to sand completely considering how curvy the masks were. 

Note: I didn't get to document the process of making it because my hands were coated in plaster, but to make his hand sticking out I filled a rubber glove with rice, plaster wrapped each finger, and held them where I wanted until they dried enough to hold their own shape.
New Materials Used:
  • Rubber glove 

Step 3: Add the Details

To me this was the most important part of the mask. What separates the boys from the men. What separates the, "nice try" from the, "HOLY CRAP THAT IS ACCURATE!". The deets.

In this case Model Magic was so appropriately named.  I drew where the detailing would lie and built up the face from there.  I dipped my fingers in water throughout the process because it made the Model Magic seamlessly blend into the mask and create wrinkles....Magic I say!!  

​New Materials Used:
  • None

Step 4: Create the Other Details...

These were all fun to do!

My boyfriend and I formed the teeth out of modeling clay and stuck a toothpick in each before baking them.  

I also formed the tongue out of Model Magic (you'll see in the next step)

For the his eyeball fingers, I found a bag of 10 plastic eyeballs at Party City, drilled a hole in them, then customized each one by melting the plastic and widening the hole using a crochet needle.  I drew the corresponding finger letter inside each one so we didn't struggle putting them on him.
For the Handbook for the Recently Deceased, I fortunately found the perfect size and color book.  I printed out a picture of the book from the movie, cut out the picture, traced it onto the book and painted the white edge around it, Mod Podged the picture onto it, and free handed the lettering with a white paint pen.
New Materials Used:
  • Modeling clay and toothpicks
  • Old book
  • Bag of plastic eyeballs
  • Mod Podge
  • White paint pen

Step 5: Finishing Touches...!

All that's left is to paint the masks, shove and glue in those teeth (after cutting down the toothpicks), glue in the tongue and eyeballs, and add the wigs.  I also ended up painting the "wet" parts of her mask with glossy Mod Podge (her gums and tongue).

After painting Matt's mask, I hot glued latex ears onto each side and painted them to match the skin tone.

Shadowing was INCREDIBLY difficult, I must admit...plaster is not the easiest thing to create any sort of gradient on. Go figure! 

New Materials Used:
  • Wigs
  • Latex ears

Step 6: STRUT.

Here is our final product! It was a blast to watch peoples reactions.  My best friend Jackie also came and dressed as the perfect Beetlejuice.  We've been told on several occasions that we go a little overboard... :)

I also hot glued black nylon to the throat area of my mask to hide my face while still allowing me to see where I was going.

I am also lucky enough to have a mom with a great eye!  She found my dress and Matt's shirt while we were searching for outfits at our local Salvation Army.  The total cost of both masks was about $50 and roughly 40 hours of work. I honestly didn't think to keep track because I was having so much fun making them. Time really does fly!
New Materials Used:
  • Black nylon
Halloween Costume Contest

Participated in the
Halloween Costume Contest