Advanced 12V DC power supply for use with Open EVSE.
12V DC - 4 Watts
L1/120V – L2/240V Detection
Stuck Relay Detection
Skill level: Basic soldering
Warning High voltage present!!!
1 - Open EVSE power supply board
1 - MPM-04S-12 switch mode power supply module
1 - 3.5mm 2 position screw terminal
1 - 5.0mm 3 position screw terminal
1 - 5.0mm 2 position screw terminal
2 - 1A 250V fuses
1 - 0.1uf ceramic capacitor
1 - 47uf electrolytic capacitor
2 – MID400 AC voltage detect IC
2 – 22k Ohm resistors
2 – 6 pin Female Stack headers
1 – 6 pin Male Stack headers
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: AC High Voltage Parts
- Solder the 22k Ohm resistors (Red – Red - Orange) in R1 and R2
- Solder the MID400 AC detect chips in IC1 and IC2, line up the notch/dot with the marking on the board.
- Solder the 2 250V 1A fuses in position next to the resistors.
- Solder the 2 and 3 position 5mm screw terminals in the Test and Input locations.
Step 2: DC Parts
-Solder the 0.1uf Capacitor in C1
-Solder the 47uf Electrolytic capacitor in C2 (Check Polarity)
-Solder the 3.5mm Screw terminal
-Solder the 6 pin female stack header
-Solder the Power Supply Module to the board.
Step 3: Testing
- Check your work carefully
- Connect AC input GND (Green), H (Black), N (White or Red)
- Connect to AC power
- Measure and verify 12V output.
Step 4: Stacking With OpenEVSE
- Solder the remaining female stack header to the OpenEVSE (labeled D2 - D3 - D4 -5V - GND - 12V). Older Open EVSE boards without 12V pin still require an external power wire. Boards with the 12V pin are powered through the stack.
- Cut the male stack pins to size.
- Screw the 3/4" spacers to the OpenEVSE board with the 1/4 (shorter) screws.
- Use the longer ½” screws and the appropriate non-conductive spacers to mount the stack to the enclosure or enclosure tray. DO NOT TIGHTEN METAL SCREWS DIRECTLY ONTO THE BOTTOM BOARD WITHOUT NON-CONDUCTIVE SPACERS, HIGH VOLTAGE IS PRESENT IN THE BOTTOM BOARD.