An air vortex cannon is a device that releases doughnut-shaped air vortexes — similar to smoke rings but larger, stronger and invisible. The vortexes are able to ruffle hair, disturb papers or blow out candles after travelling several meters.
It has the surprising effect of please colleagues a lot when used as an office warfare weapon for surprise attacks. Probably because everyone likes surprises!
So, for example, when you see a colleague very concentrated on his job you could sneak behind him at a safety distance (let's say a couple of meters) and shot a pleasant and refreshing vortex ring to gently ruffle his hair or put some order in his papers. He will enjoy it so much that he will run after you to thank you personally! The safety distance I talked about will help you if you are a shy person and don't like to be thanked.
Anyway... what do you need to build it?
Step 1: Material Needed
This is an easy project and the material list is pretty short:
- collapsible cup with rigid rim (got mine on Amazon) - 6.49 GBP
- heavy duty balloon (courtesy of Wilko) - 1 GBP
- bouncing ball (courtesy of Wilko) - 1 GBP
- zip ties
So assuming that you are so well organized to have string, zip ties, scissors and cutter already at home, the total amount you will spend on this project is 8.49 GBP and about 30 minutes.
Step 2: What's Next?
You should use the cup to drink something at this point if you wish, because in a minute it will be useless as a cup.
- with the cutter remove the bottom of the cup
- cut the balloon a couple of centimeter away from the eyelet
- insert the bouncing ball in the balloon inflating duct and secure it with the string (in this way you will avoid to have a slingshot instead of a vortex cannon)
- take out of your mind the idea of pleasing your colleagues with a slingshot
- fit the larger side of the balloon on the rim side of the cup, and secure it with zip ties
that's it! ready to fire!
Now you have a collapsible, pocket size, vortex cannon! Have fun with your colleagues, they will love you and you will be soon very popular.
[sarcastic mode off]
If you would like to thank me do it from a safety distance voting for me in the "Pocket sized" contest! Thanks! :)
Participated in the