Due to a leak we had to have some cabinets replaced in the kitchen. Wifey picked out what she liked since there was no way to match what we had. Besides, the cabinets we had were not the best quality. The drawer faces were peeling. I assured Wifey that I could replace the drawer faces. And, thus, this Instructable. The picture shows the new cabinets.
The beadboard doors were also recreated to replace the doors on the other cabinets. But that is not what this Instructable is about.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: OLD DRAWER FACES
The new cabinet drawer faces were square edged. As you can see in this picture what we had was a rounded edge that was not wood but some sort of plastic over pressboard. And it was peeling in places.
Step 2: NEW FACES
I measured and cut new faces and painted them to match the color of the new cabinets.
Step 3: I ADDED BLOCKING
The existing drawer bodies were imbedded into the back of the drawer faces. I installed blocking in each drawer in preparation for cutting off the drawer faces. Had I not done this the drawer body would probably distort as soon as I removed the face.
Step 4: SAWZALLED THE FACES
I disconnected the tracks, brought them into the garage and used a reciprocating saw to remove all the faces. Then i reattached the tracks and lined up the drawer faces and screwed them through the blocking in place.
Step 5: TOOK MY TIME
The most painstaking part was to make sure the drawer face lined up with either the drawer or door below and above it. This was a few years ago. (Yes, I sign and date all my work as seen in the first picture) We downsized and moved to our new house in 10/2017. Some of the new Instructables I've posted are from Honey-Dos and bare necessities.
Oh, oh... Ear worm. 'Scuse me while I sing:
Look for the bare necessities,
The simple bare necessities.
Forget about your worries and your strife.
Hope you enjoyed this Instructable and it was informative.