Introduction: Spanish Bread
In the Philippines, Spanish bread is a staple in every bakery and a favorite mid-day snack paired with hot cocoa or coffee by Filipinos. It is fairly simple to make and the ingredients are probably in your pantry or refrigerator already. It does take some time to make but it is worthwhile because it is so yummy especially freshly baked from the oven. Slightly sweet and soft buttery bread is simply delicious.
My son have been loving helping me in the kitchen so I decided to make some and teach him to make bread and have fun with him at the same time.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Ingredients
For the DOUGH:
- 2 teaspoons of instant yeast
- 1 teaspoons of white sugar
- 1/4 cup of warm water
- 4 cups of bread flour or plain flour
- 1/3 cup of white sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup of melted unsalted butter
For the FILLING:
- softened unsalted butter
- brown sugar
Proof the yeast by combining the first 3 ingredients in a bowl and leave it for 5 minutes. You will see in the photo above that it will become foamy.
Step 2: Making the Dough
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, salt and sugar until combined.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add in the milk, butter, eggs and yeast mixture. Stir with a spatula or wooden spoon until mixed. (Have your milk and eggs in room temperature. I microwaved the butter every 20 seconds until it melted. Make sure the butter is not too hot when you mix it in. We don't want to kill the yeast.)
- Spread some flour on your surface and knead the dough for 10 minutes until smooth. This is the step where my little helper had fun.
Step 3: Resting the Dough
- Place the dough back to the bowl that is lightly greased with vegetable oil. Cover it with saran wrap and a kitchen towel.
- Let it rest for 3 hours. After which, you can see it has doubled in size.
Step 4: Assembling the Bread
- Divide the dough to 16 pieces with a knife.
- Roll out the dough to flat oblong shape and spread a 1/2 teaspoon of butter. Sprinkle some brown sugar and bread crumbs and roll it up. Cover the dough with bread crumbs and place it seam side down on a parchment covered oven tray.
- Let it rest again for 30 minutes.
Step 5: Bake
Bake at 160 degrees celsius for 12 to 15 minutes until golden brown. I'm using a convection oven. I was able to fit 8 pieces in the oven tray.
You can also change the filling of your choice. I recommend filling it in with grated cheese or nutella.
Participated in the