It's so easy to buy tortellini but sometimes they are lacking in the filling aka not too much filling. So let's make some instead! :)
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Dough, Filling, Tortellini
- a dash - 1 tsp of salt
- 1-2 tbspof oil
- 2 cups of flour
- 3 eggs
- beef filling (or anything you like)
- 1/2 - 1 cup mixed veggies (green beans, corn, carrot, sweet pea, pea)
- Hungarian Vegeta seasoning (available online, at major grocery stores, or European specialty store)
- 1/4 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 kg lean ground beef
- 2 medium onions
- Italian seasoning
- chili flakes
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- Mix dry ingredients well in a bowl, make a well in the center
- Mix well eggs and oil and pour into the center of the well, then mix bits by bits the whole ingredients in the bowl until mixture perform crumbles, using wooden spoon or spatula
- On a light floured surface, knead the dough well, then let stand for 45-60 minutes
- Divide dough into 2 balls. Divide the 1st ball into small balls about 15-20 grams each and cover the other (big) ball (either with plastic wrap or damp towel) while we are working on the 1st ball.
- Using roller, flatten each balls, shape round with cookie cutter if you wish, fill the center with anything you wish (cheese, beef, etc)
- Wet the round with mixture of oil+water so it will be easier to seal. Fold the dough toward you until the two edges almost meet. Press down firmly along the rounded edge to seal in the filling.
- Hold the filled and sealed piece of dough between your thumb and index finger. Fold it around your finger and bring the two ends together. Press the two ends together to seal (right hand); fold the top edge down (left hand).
- In a separate bowl, place the ready to cook tortellini, cover with another damp towel.
- Repeat the steps for the other half of dough.
- Chopped 1 onion, heat 2 tbsp of oil, saute onion, add in ground beef, mix well. Add in chopped carrot, cook until carrots are tender,and beef cooked well
- Add in chili flakes and Vegeta seasoning, mix well. Cook for another 5 minutes. Set aside to cool
- Fill each center of tortellini skin with cooked ground beef
- Bring water to a boil, cook tortellini, drain, set a side
Step 2: Stir-fry Tortellini
Boiling Beef Tortellini:
Bring water to a boil, add in a tablespoon or two of vegetable oil and a little salt. Cook tortellini for at least 20-30 minutes
Drain, then mix with any other cooking(s), vegetables, sour cream, sauces, cheese, etc
Heat 2 tbsp of oil, saute chopped onion, add in mixed vegetables
Add in Vegeta seasoning to taste
Add in the cooked tortellini, mix well, stir for 5-7 minutes more
Place on a serving plate, sprinkle with Italian seasoning
Participated in the
Slow Food Contest