Introduction: Egg Tempera Paint
This is a fun project to do with both younger and older kids alike.
• 3 eggs
• 4 paper bowls (just to make cleanup easier, but you can use regular bowls instead)
• Chalk Pastels of you choice
• Some way to grind up the chalk pastels, like a hammer or a mortar and pestle
• A spoon (to mix together the chalk an the egg)
• A toothpick
• Some gloves (if you don’t want to touch raw egg)
• A few paper towels
Step 1: The “Egg” Part of Egg Tempera
Separate the egg yolk from the egg white. Throw the egg white away. If you want the paint to be very smooth, poke a hole in the egg yolk and then let the inside of the yolk run out. Throw the “skin” of the egg yolk away. Gently whisk the egg yolk until smooth. Repeat this step for all 3 of the eggs.
Step 2: The Chalk Pastels
Grind up the chalk pastels using a hammer or a mortar and pestle. Grind them up until they are very smooth.
Step 3: Mixing It All Together
Mix together one egg yolk (the one that you prepared earlier) and one ground up chalk pastel. Mix it until it is even. Do this for all of the egg yolks.