Introduction: Make Your Custom Mechanical Watch
In this Instructables, I will try to explain how I manage to source the parts and assemble a mechanical Watch.
There are two kinds of a mechanical watch :
- Manual movement (The one I choose)
- Automatic movement
(To better understand what are the difference check this link)
A big part of the understanding of how to make a watch come from this video made by Watch Repair Channel.
All the watch parts and tools come from Aliexpress.
Step 1: Buying Watch Parts
The first thing you have to do is choose the movement, cause all the parts goes around the movement.
On the internet I was able to find 4 movements mainly used :
- ETA 6497 (manual movement with seconds at 9 hours) -> The one I choose
- ETA 6498 (manual movement with second at 6 hours)
- Miyota 8205 (automatic movement with day and date)
- Miyota 8215 (automatic movement with date)
After choosing your movement you can search for all the parts around (case, dial, hands , strap).
As you can see in the pictures all parts come with a good package in polystyrene boxes.
On the list below you can see all the parts I buy, but there are many more on Aliexpress :
The total price of this watch without the tools is 82.98€ (pretty decent price for a manual mechanical watch).
Step 2: Inspect and Check the Parts
/!\ During all the assembly try to don't touch with your finger the movement, the dial, the hands and the inside of the case.
Before starting assembly :
- Inspect the parts
- Check the movement cushion mount on the movement
- Check the dial inside the case
Step 3: Removing the Second Output
Because I choose a dial without a second, I need to cut the second output. I follow this guide made by onzenuub to understand how to cut the output.
I use a pliers to cut the extra part.
Be very careful, it's pretty hard to put back in the right place all the parts.
Step 4: Gear + Washer + Dial
- Insert the gear
- Put the washer on top of the gear
- Insert the dial in the right position
Step 5: Removing the Crown
- Unscrew by 1 or 2 turn the little screw who maintains the crown
- Removing the crown
Step 6: Insert the Hands
- With the hand puller insert the hour hand at 3 o'clock
- With the hand puller insert the minute hand at 12 o'clock
- Clean the dial and the hands with the air blower and some Blu-Tack
Step 7: Movement + Case + Crown
- Insert the movement inside the case
- Align it correctly with the crown
- Insert the movement cushion moun
- Unscrew the old crown and screw the new one
- Plug the crown and measure how much you need to cut
- Don't cut too much try several times
- Screw the little screw who maintains the crown
Step 8: Check + Case
- Check if everything goes right
- Screw the back of the case with the watch case opener
Step 9: Enjoy Wearing Your Unique Watch !
The accuracy is pretty good for a movement who come from china sources.
The last step is to put the strap you want and who enhance the watch.
For less euro than a brand manual mechanical watch you will have your unique watch that you have assembled and choose all the parts yourself.
Enjoy wearing your work and have a nice day !
Participated in the