Introduction: Binder Clip Hack #1
This is the first half of my binder clip hack set. In this instructable, we will be making a binder clip slingshot. It is super easy to make, dirt cheap, and can send little projectiles 5 meters away! If you enjoy this instructable, please favorite and comment. I would love to see some modifications to it as well, so don't be afraid to change it up and make a new version!
Step 1: Materials
To make this mini-slingshot, we have to get some materials first!
-One binder clip (make sure it isn't too small!)
-One rubber band (don't get one that is too thick)
-Some tape (any kind will do, but I used masking tape)
-Scissors (I'll be using garden shears because I already have those on hand, but you get the gist)
Step 2: Prepping the Clip
To get the clip ready for action, we first need to take it apart. Follow these steps in order to get it all separated.
1. Push the silver prongs into their "down" position, so that they are making a "V" shape
2. Squeeze the ends of one prong together, near where it connects with the holding part of the clip
3. Pull the prong out of its holding position
4. Repeat with other prong
You will now have 3 pieces: two prongs and one clamp piece. We only need one prong piece for this project, but save the other pieces for future projects.
Step 3: Prepping the Band
Now you need to get the rubber band ready for action. To do this, follow the steps below.
1. Cut the rubber band with your scissors so that it is one continuous band of rubber.
2. Now we can shorten it to about twice the length of the prong piece we got from the last step.
You will now have a piece of rubber band twice as long as your prong piece, which we will be using for the band of your slingshot.
Step 4: Putting It Together
Now that we have our two pieces ready, all we need to do is tape them together.
1. Position the ends of the rubber band near the ends of the prong piece
2. Take your tape and pull off a piece about 1/2 the size of your prong piece
3. Cut the tape piece in half longways, so you have 2 long strips of tape
4. Wrap your tape around one side with the rubber band and the tips of the prong, and keep wrapping until the two are secured together
5. Repeat with the other side and press down tightly around the tape to make sure that it will stay there
Step 5: Ammo and Firing
We are now done with our mini binder clip slingshot! All we need to do now is make some ammo and fire away! Follow these instructions for making ammo.
1. Take a small scrap of paper and fold in half until it is only about 1/2 of a centimeter thick
2. Fold this small piece in half short ways so that it makes a small "V" shape
These are called hornets, and to fire them, loop the inside of them onto the band, pull back, and then let go! Easy as pie!
I hope you enjoyed this project! Stay tuned for part 2!