Introduction: How to Make a Durable Harvest Basket Made From Recycled Materials
If you have a stack of grocery bags waiting to be recycled, put them to work in the garden as a Durable Harvest Basket. It can be used years after you make it and if something happens to your harvest basket just make another one its just so easy to make. You'll not only be helping the environment by DIVERTING GROCERY BAGS FROM THE LANDFILL but you'll have a harvest basket your going to enjoy years from now.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Materials
2 plastic bags (easily found in most supermarkets) and used to keep the basket dry.
3 paper bags (again found in most supermarkets) and to give the basket shape and stability.
Heavy duty stapler
Step 2: Making
1. Fold about a one and a half inch cuff in the top of one of the paper bags (Bag A)
2. Continue making the folds until Bag A is about 4 inches high.
3. Repeat for the second bag (Bag B), but make one less fold so it's about a inch and a half taller than Bag A
4. Repeat for making Bag C, again making one less fold
5. Place Bag B into Bag A
6. Place Bag C into Bag B and staple all together through their cuffs on all sides with a heavy duty stapler.
Step 3: Finish
7. Line finished stapled paper bags (Bag C) with a plastic grocery bag as shown and DO NOT STAPLE. It will later on if both plastic bags get torn, hard to take out and replace.
8. Finally place the four-bag unit inside a plastic grocery bag with handles.
Step 4: Conclusion
Now you have a Durable. Cheap, Easy to Make, Recycled Harvest Basket. I hope you enjoy using it as much as I do and go out into your garden and enjoy your new harvest basket!
Participated in the
Get in the Garden Contest