Author Options:

Transformer Answered

I was wondering if I can covert a transformer that is 220v to 110 and change it to a step up?
It would be for a 500w motor.


2 other options:

some appliances have an either 120 or 240 switch. It might be hidden under the first level of housing.

The other option is putting a different motor in. I know... new appliance... tearing it apart...

Can you plug in to the 220v stove outlet?

I dont have a 220v outlet. I live in Mexico and everything is 110-120v

Even the stove? In US everything is 110v EXCEPT stove, + washing machine. Most people never see those outlets because they are hidden behind major appliances.

The oven is gas and the washing machine is just plugged into a normal socket outlet :( I'll hace a look behind the oven and check but I highly doubt it

Clothes Dryer? Air conditioning? Hot tub? These are sometimes 220.

Wikipedia says : " Mexico A, B 127 V 60 Hz Type B is becoming more common. Voltage can legally vary by +/- 10% (giving a range of 114 to 140 volts). Split phase is commonly available and local electricians are apt to wire both to a type A/B socket to give 240 V for air conditioning or washing machine/dryer"

An electrician (or competent electrical buddy) might be able to put a 220 breaker in your box, connecting to the second phase. Basically, if you have 2 phase wiring, either of those phases can provide 110, or by adding them together, you get 220.

I looked behind the cooker and it is 127v :( Great idea though
So what your saying is I could buy a 220V breaker, add two phases together and create a new 220v socket?

Yes, IF there are 2 phases coming into the house. You'd have to check the breaker box for that. Wiki said 2 phases are commonly available, but that doesn't mean every house has 2. One has to be careful doing that work, since the supply usually remains "hot" while putting the breaker in.

If you have an electric stove, I suggest pulling it out a few inches to peek at the stove outlet. If it is a different size + configuration than most of your outlets, then it's probably 220 v.


Transformers can be reversed, unless the current burns em up. Your motor is 500 w, but what is the VOLTAGE?

Thank you for the reply.
I have a meat grinder which I bought in England and now I live in Mexico.
The motor is 505-550w and the voltage is 230-240v
I need the machine to work at 110-120v
I cant find a step up transformer with the capacity to handle the motor as all I can find is 200w and when I checked I was told that the transformer needs to be at 1500w because of the motor.