Author Options:

Transmission fluid on my cat Answered

Well our van must have a leak or something, because the fur on one of my cat's backs is all spiky, and my dad says it smells like transmission fluid. He must have walked under where it was leaking. My dad says it's not dangerous as long as it doesn't touch his skin, but we're going so have to get it of somehow. Should we cut some of the hair off his back? Try to wash it off?



2 years ago

I know 6 years ago but as a quick fix cornstarch will absorb a lot of the fluid without spreading it like water does. Just sprinkle and rub it in like oil dry. It will absorb the oil clump and brush out.

Wow, "it's not dangerous as long as it doesn't touch his skin?" Sorry, but he's blatantly wrong here. Transmission fluid is one of the bigger home poisoners of pets, albiet not as bad as anti-freeze... Thousands of cats and dogs per year are poisoned by transmission fluid. I would strongly recommend a very thorough bath for kitty, whether he likes it or not. Source: 4.5 years running a veterinary facility in the U.S. Army

My cat rolled around in this today.. should have read this first... my friend went away with about 20 major puncture wounds, because my cat was hanging from her shoulder, and pulled himself up onto her back as my friend tried to pull him off... I went away with him almost slitting my wrists, and getting about 5 puncture wounds... Kitty gets his nails cut tonight... :)

Some cats (not many) don't mind a bath. If yours does, be prepared to struggle with a Tasmanian Devil of a reaction LOL But yeah, it may eventually get to his skin, so it would be best to get it off fairly soon. If you can not get "proper" pet shampoo, a VERY mild dishwashing soap, like Dawn, should work (if your cat does not go ballistic in water ;-) .

Like Goodhart says, dish soap would be a good choice. Baby shampoo would be good, too. Anything that isn't too harsh.

If your cat isn't a big fan of water, you can do the old "wrap him in a sheet" trick. It's a decent way to keep all the pointy bits contained while exposing the piece of cat that requires attention. Use an old sheet or large towel, and work fast to get him swaddled up - just make sure he doesn't have enough wiggle room to cause trouble, and have a compatriot ready to wash him immediately.

I'd go for washing over cutting, and do it quickly because unless he's a particularly fat cat he might be able to reach that spot with either tongue or wet paws.

The towel / sheet trick is a great idea, it sure beats "hobble-tying" the cat for sure.

Yeah, the cleaning agent of choice to wash birds caught in an oil spill is... Dawn dishwashing detergent!

Dawn seems to be what works best for heavy bunker oil and other really sticky stuff, and doesn't damage the feathers or irritate the skin of the birds. I figure it will probably work just as well on other animals, and is likely to be more effective than an ordinary shampoo for dealing with sticky, oily stuff.

Put cat in wire travel cage. Strap cage to car roof. Drive to nearest car-wash...

That's a great idea!! I've never thought of that before, but it will be great for the cat my sister got. I hate that cat...

Invest in some very long rubber gloves and give kitty a bath. He'll be mad at you for a while but he'll get over it!

ATF is pretty much mineral oil, use soap and water.


10 years ago

I do hope it's not antifreeze. That will kill the cat (if he cleans himself as cats do...)

No, it's transmission fluid. And it's on his back (can't don't lick their backs xD)

Great, if you're sure. (I've seen cats lick just about everything but the backs of their heads.. ;D )


10 years ago

Well... you could try and give it a bath... or just try and wash it off some way, either way it won't be happy...