Author Options:

Varialbe current regulator? Answered

Have you ever seen a variable current regulator? i googled it but i keep getting standard voltage regulators Any help would be appreciated!


Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't this be called a potentiometer?

yes, that would work, BUT for low amperage/voltage, i need something heavy duty

ya, in theory all this is a digital potentiometer, but i need it to control amperage, and amperage only

as heavy duty as it's available, like 30W

would a "current controlled resistor" work ? Or maybe a thyristor (SCR)?

The first picture is a voltage controlled resistor, the second of an SCR (the third pic is the schematic for the PNP device) the last pic is an SCR being used.


what is Vg1 and Vg2? i don't know what device that is? looks like a mofset?

Vg, in this case most likely refers to VoltagegateIn (not power supply) typical symbols are pictured below.


I haven't fooled around with voltage controlled resistors before; I just happened to have heard of them. Which is why I also wondered if an SCR (silicon control rectifier) might not work better.

Theres a one at radioshack for 2.29 ... Not really cheap but if you only need one.

ya, probably a regular voltage regulator that only regulates voltage, not amperage (it only limits it to 1.5Amps)

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't see the current part. I thought it was voltage.


9 years ago

Yeah, check out the datasheets for LM317 or LM117. These can be made to output a specific current as well as a specific voltage, and most of the datasheets will include a CCCV "lab-style" power supply circuit.